[linux-audio-dev] Re: [Jackit-devel] paul (davis) decides to move to windows

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] Re: [Jackit-devel] paul (davis) decides to move to windows
From: R Parker (rtp405_AT_yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Jun 18 2002 - 04:02:24 EEST

Hi

--- Paul Davis <pbd_AT_op.net> wrote:
> windows for natural lighting, and no mold or carbon
> monoxide. the rack
> and other gear are all here, now i just need to
> build a 6" acoustic
> isolation wall so that our neighbours don't start
> complaining when by
> "borealis" patch on the K5000 starts wailing at
> midnight :)

Thought this might be interesting to those who're
designing rooms...

There's an old book titled "How To Build a Budget Home
Recording Studio" or "How To Build a Home Recording
Studio" which covers audio containment and accoustic
tuning of rooms. If that's the right title, then the
book includes the math for tuning. We built our rooms
with the information from the book and we're happy
with the results.

If you strike a tuning fork and touch it to one of
your teeth you'll know how audio vibrations transfer
through materials. Where a new containment wall has
contact with an existing wall, the vibrations
transfer. The entire building is a resonator.

Imagine a room as a container that can be filled with
water. Wherever water leaks is where the audio leaks.

Containment, as I know it, is about rooms inside of
rooms. Of course everyone's containment requirements
vary. Our studio is in an old mansion that a bunch of
us live in and none of us wants the studio noise
leaking out of the basement.

parker