Re: [linux-audio-dev] Demoing Linux software

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Demoing Linux software
From: Frank Barknecht (barknech_AT_ph-cip.uni-koeln.de)
Date: Wed Jun 19 2002 - 11:32:05 EEST

Hi,
Steve Harris hat gesagt: // Steve Harris wrote:

> As I mentioned briefly in another mail, I'm going to demo some linux
> software at Modular 2002 (http://www.modular2002.com/) next week.
>
> Obviously I'm mainly going to demo modular-ish software:
>
> Spiral Synth Modular
> ALSA Modular Synth
> GLAME
> jMax
> PD
>
> So, I would like is recommendations for other software I should demo, and
> interesting example patches. The crowd will mostly be interested in novel
> synth stuff.

The Crowd probably isn't interested in you demoing C++ code, but I'd
like to mention SndObj anyways, available at:
http://www.may.ie/academic/music/musictec/SndObj/main.html

SndObj is a C++ library which resembles writing Csound Orcs in C++ a
bit. It looks like:

  sintable = new HarmTable(1024,1,SINE);
  osc = new Oscili(sintable, 440.f, 1.f);
  osc->DoProcess();
  osc->Output();

I ported the SndObj granular synthesis object SyncGrain to PD,
available at footils.org, which has great results if you feed it some
dance or hip hop loops for example.

There also is a somehow stupid but very effective Roland 303-like
patch using your bandlimited Osc and the LADSPA vcf303 called PD-303.
It looks as much like the real thing as possible in PD and sounds
quite compellingly ;)

Ciao,