Re: [linux-audio-dev] Poll about linux music audio app usability

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Poll about linux music audio app usability
From: David Olofson (david_AT_gardena.net)
Date: Wed Jun 19 2002 - 23:42:38 EEST

On Wednesday 12 June 2002 11.04, Michael Toomim wrote:
> David Olofson wrote:
> > ...and wants to hack a *really* complex one for a music
> > application. You also need to find a good GUI designer, unless
> > you're lucky enough to find someone that can do both.
> >
> > I'm quite sure it's not remotely as easy as you suggest.
>
> I don't see what the big deal is. Isn't GUI design the fun part?

Well, I *like* most kinds of programming - but that only makes it
harder to decide what to do.

I need to code for a living, and I have a family to take care of. The
remaining spare time is all I have, so I simply have to hack one or
two things at a time, or I'll never get anything useful together.
Obviously, that means some things have to wait until others are
finished.

I believe this is pretty much the situation for anyone who can't hack
whatever they like, full time. In fact, it probably applies to
*everyone* to some extent.

> I'd expect there to be a lot more HCI people in the computer-music
> circles...

Why? And why would they "waste" their precious time hacking and
polishing GUI stuff beyond the point where it's "usable" to them?

//David

| Multimedia Application Integration Architecture |
`---------------------------> http://www.linuxdj.com/maia/ -'