Re: [linux-audio-dev] Poll about linux music audio app usability

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Poll about linux music audio app usability
From: David Olofson (david_AT_gardena.net)
Date: Thu Jun 20 2002 - 02:45:02 EEST

On Thursday 13 June 2002 14.02, Dave Griffiths wrote:
> > The problem seems to be either...
> >
> > A) That there aren't enough of these people to go around.
> >
> > B) That these people aren't in touch with the people who
> > want to write code, or just have a hard time coordinating with
> > them.
> >
> > or C) That these people aren't very deeply involved with the
> > linux / free software circles... maybe because being a good
> > designer doesn't necessarily make one a good geek.
>
> Personally speaking, I think one of the most interesting areas of
> audio app design is the user interface, because there is no really
> obvious way of doing it.

Good point.

> I'm really interested in unusual solutions
> to these problems, and not necessarily only visually - I'd quite
> like to get a text based interface to SSM one day.
>
> One of the things I'm always slightly disappointed in Linux apps
> (including my own) is the lack of originality of interface and
> ideas, too many clones of existing solutions - when we have the
> freedom and lack of commercial worries to do whatever we want.

You're missing one thing: We don't really have the freedom you
suggest. We have limited resources, and need to cooperate for any
major projects to take off. If you're doing "highly experimental"
stuff, you're more likely to be left on your own.

And of course, experimental solutions are by definition very likely
not to work out right. I think Free/Open Source hackers stay away
from them to minimize the risk of wasting precious hacking time on
bad ideas.

//David

| Multimedia Application Integration Architecture |
`---------------------------> http://www.linuxdj.com/maia/ -'