Re: [linux-audio-dev] name a realtime wave mixing library/program with an API

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] name a realtime wave mixing library/program with an API
From: Erik de Castro Lopo (erikd_AT_mega-nerd.com)
Date: Thu Jul 04 2002 - 05:39:37 EEST

An the Paul Davis <pbd_AT_op.net> wrote:

> the fashion in the last few years has been specifically to *not* put
> PCM files in memory, but to stream them from disk (see
> gigasampler). by putting them in memory, you limit the size of the
> samples you can use quite noticeably. even a machine with 2GB of
> physical RAM wouldn't be particularly useful with contemporary grand
> piano samples.

If you head in that direction I encourage you to look at libsndfile:

     http://www.zip.com.au/~erikd/libsndfile/

which is simply a library for doing audio file I/O from/to disk. Using
libsndfile it should be relatively easy to cache whatever you *must*
have in memory and retrieve the rest from disk as you need it.

I have released release candidate 2 of version 1.0.0 and there should
be very few very minor changes between now and the final release.

One of the things I have been doing is benchmarking all file I/O and
fixing any problems found. The final release will do faster I/O than
all previous releases for all file formats. This is much more than any
of the competition does as I am not aware of any benchmarking being
done on those projects.

By using libsndfile, you'd be joining some of the following luminaries:

Conrad Parker (author of sweep) says:
   "..... to use libsndfile, which is easier than falling off a teflon
    log after drinking a bottle of vodka"

Paul Davis (Ardour and more) says:
   "i'm a huge fan of libsndfile (its so much better than the SGI
   inspired API that does the same thing)."

Cheers,
Erik

  Erik de Castro Lopo  nospam_AT_mega-nerd.com (Yes it's valid)
Moore's Law: hardware speed doubles every 18 months
Gates' Law: software speed halves every 18 months