RE: [linux-audio-dev] name a realtime wave mixing library/program with an API

Subject: RE: [linux-audio-dev] name a realtime wave mixing library/program with an API
From: mikko.a.helin_AT_nokia.com
Date: Thu Jul 04 2002 - 16:11:32 EEST

Hello,

Is this the very same libsndfile which is required by Jack (can't install Jack without it)????

Btw, it would be very useful and make some audio task faster if you could fix some samples or short phrases into RAM. I think Samplitude allows you use this kind of files (that are loaded into RAM instead of streaming from HD) in it's projects. In Cubase the same system works transparently as Cubase reads the data first into the very large buffers (you can define the size of the buffers yourself as well as the scheme used by Cubase). For some songs the HD led never lights after the first playback, so during MIDI tracking or mixing there's practically no HD activity. Note also that some standalone digital recorders like Roland VS840 record to ZIP disks which vere limited to 128 Mb for the first ZIP's, later the 250 Mb disks have replaced the old ones, but computers for DAW usually have 256 Mb - 512 Mb of RAM.
-Mikko