Re: [linux-audio-dev] Desktop Environments in the World of Pro Audio

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Desktop Environments in the World of Pro Audio
From: Conrad Parker (conrad_AT_vergenet.net)
Date: Fri Jul 05 2002 - 01:41:34 EEST

On Wed, Jul 03, 2002 at 03:41:38PM -0400, Andy Wingo wrote:
> > >spreadsheet. However, there's lots that would be handy for an audio
> > >application as well. Dialog boxes, for one thing. Theme support. Help
> > >systems. The list goes on.
> >

> GnomeDialog is pretty much deprecated in G2, its functionality having
> been merged back into GtkDialog. On the other hand, preferences are
> supported nicely with the gnome libs with GConf's instant-apply. That's
> neat stuff, and quite useful from the user's perspective.

is it correct that as of gtk2 and gnome2, each of these particular useful
things (dialogs, themes, help system) have been moved into gtk-2.0?

I get the impression that gtk2 is far more useful (not to mention prettier)
than gtk1.

as for gnome desktop integration, I'm toying with the idea of putting
gnome-compatability stuff (handling GConf in particular) in a separate,
optional process from the main application.

The two processes could then communicate via a shared, synchronous file db
ie. tdb. Any changes via gconf would be reflected in the tdb, and
automagically picked up by the app. If the gnome connector process isn't
running, the changes aren't reflected but the app keeps on using the
tdb for its own local configuration anyway. Conversely, the gnome connector
can update the app's internal preferences changes to gconf by reading out
of the tdb.

That way, if you want gnome compatability, you run the gnome connector
thing in parallel to the app; if you're not running under gnome, you just
run the app (which isn't linked to any gnome libs).

am I crazy? what other features of gnome2 vs. gtk2 would I be missing out
on?

Conrad.