[linux-audio-dev] help w/ alsa

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] help w/ alsa
From: zachary lieberman (zlieb_AT_parsons.edu)
Date: Sun Jul 07 2002 - 20:02:55 EEST

Hi,

trying to rewrite some oss code in alsa. Am having luck with
compiling and running arecord/aplay, but some of the other sample alsa
scripts (the API how-to) are giving me troubles like this :

        pcm_params.c:2136: snd_pcm_hw_refine: Assertion `pcm && params' failed.

rtAudio (which might be good for my purposes) gave me this:

        ALSA lib pcm_hw.c:791:(snd_pcm_hw_open) open /dev/snd/pcmC0D1p failed: No
such file or directory

+

essentially, I am trying to rewrite this old oss linux audio hook:

http://www.thesystemis.com/remark/linuxaudio2.c

any pointers or advice would be greatly appreciated. In particular, what
would be the ALSA equivalent of this:

        ioctl(fd, SNDCTL_DSP_GETISPACE, &info);
        return info.bytes;

Are there simple ALSA equivalents for the other ioctl calls?

thanks a ton!

best,
zach