Re: [linux-audio-dev] LADPSA v1.1 SDK Provisional Release

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] LADPSA v1.1 SDK Provisional Release
From: Tim Goetze (tim_AT_quitte.de)
Date: Wed Jul 10 2002 - 20:34:13 EEST

Steve Harris wrote:

>> said it then, will say it again:
>>
>> the proposed mechanism for default values is a kludge.
>>
>> i'm against it.
>
>I understand your objections, but I think the alternatives (that keep
>binary compatibility) are just as bad in there own way.
>
>This defaults issue has been kicking around for months now.
>
>FWIW I added default hints to all my plugins and there was only one
>port where I couldn't get exactly the default value I wanted (2 v's 1) and
>that was pretty irrelevant.

it's still a kludge to me: that's reason enough to oppose it whatever
its benefits -- reason enough for me anyway.

i don't think it's appropriate for a public API in an open source
environment (especially one as narrow as linux audio) to choose
instant feature realization and/or binary compatibility over long-term
simplicity.

tim