Re: [linux-audio-dev] priority inversion & inheritance

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] priority inversion & inheritance
From: yodaiken_AT_fsmlabs.com
Date: Thu Jul 11 2002 - 01:37:23 EEST

On Thu, Jul 11, 2002 at 12:27:13AM +0200, Martijn Sipkema wrote:
> What do we have now to handle priority inversion in Linux? We haven\\\'t

Linux is not real-time, it has a scheduler that, generally, makes sure
eventually everyone gets to run. I think people often understimate
how useful a "live" scheduler is and how limited a real-time priority
scheduler is.

> If the article is saying the programmer should be protected from missuse
> of priority inheritance by not supplying it, isn\\\'t that like Pascal? (I
> never liked Pascal).

I think any use of priority inheritance is a misuse, and I am against
making the rest of the OS slow in order to provide it.

Victor Yodaiken
Finite State Machine Labs: The RTLinux Company.
 www.fsmlabs.com  www.rtlinux.com