Re: [linux-audio-dev] priority inversion & inheritance

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] priority inversion & inheritance
From: Steve Harris (S.W.Harris_AT_ecs.soton.ac.uk)
Date: Thu Jul 11 2002 - 15:47:31 EEST

On Thu, Jul 11, 2002 at 01:46:39 +0200, Martijn Sipkema wrote:
[constant nframes]
> But why is this needed? The only valid argument I heard for this is
> optimization of frequency domain algorithm latency. I suggested a
> capability interface for JACK as in EASI where it is possible to ask
> whether nframes is constant. The application must still handle the case
> where it is not.

For freq domain stuff its not an optimisation, if the constant CPU time
per process() requirement is to be met it is a requirement.

Eqally we could add a buffering FIFO to hypothetical cards which produce
non constant frames per period. I think this would affect far fewer
people.

- Steve