Re: [linux-audio-dev] LADPSA v1.1 SDK Provisional Release

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] LADPSA v1.1 SDK Provisional Release
From: Vincent Touquet (vincent.touquet_AT_pandora.be)
Date: Fri Jul 12 2002 - 09:56:07 EEST

On Fri, Jul 12, 2002 at 02:40:36AM +0300, Kai Vehmanen wrote:
>On Thu, 11 Jul 2002, Paul Winkler wrote:
>
>>> Without breaking binary compatibility,
>> Can someone explain to me why that's important at this point in time?
>
>Well, it's not _that_ important, but there are a few good reasons...
>
>1) The LADSPA API was not designed for ABI changes (most notably the
> interface version is not exported by plugins). This means that
> old plugins that you didn't remember to delete/recompile can
> cause segfaults in hosts. And unfortunately when you get a seg.fault,
> you probably manage to try at least n+1 other things, send
> bug reports, drive the host developers insane, etc, etc before
> you notice that you had an old pluing lying around. ;)

So, one vote for adding the version
to the API ?

Incompatible changes should bounce that version number.
Maybe that version number needn't be the same
as the version of the entire SDK, as it would
be only used to avoid these segfaults / ...
due to binary incompatibility.

>2) Marketing. Only way to make developers believe that your
> ABI is truly stable and will not change all the time is
> to keep it stable. Just saying that "after this change there
> won't be any modifications" every six months just doesn't cut it.
> Whether this is a problem for LADSPA is another issue.

You're right, on the other hand,
if we still want to do big changes
now is the moment. Don't overrate
the acceptance of LADSPA outside of the
people who read this list, and they
are participating in the process anyway.

Doing It Right should prevail imho.
Anyway, isn't LADSPA 1.x a development
version, with LADSPA 2.x being a stable series ?
Or is such a scheme stupid for the LADSPA SDK ?

regards
vincent