Re: [linux-audio-dev] LADSPA clarifications?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] LADSPA clarifications?
From: Mike Rawes (mike_rawes_AT_yahoo.co.uk)
Date: Mon Jul 15 2002 - 15:57:49 EEST

On Mon, 15 Jul 2002 13:10:08 +0200
Jürgen Zimmermann <jnzimmer_AT_informatik.uni-kl.de> wrote:

> > > 2. Is there any range constraint applied to the audio content
> > > communicated by the audio input/audio output ports?
> > > VST e.g. does restrict the range from -1.0 to +1.0.
>
> > by convention, -1.0 to 1.0 (in most plugins and hosts)
>
> Why only "by convention". Put it into the specification, then it's
> "by specification". Wouldn't a common range for all plugins be the
> better idea?

This would specify out any plugins that used audio ports for values that
are outside this range for good reason (see my previous post about using
audio-rate ports for non-audio data).

Additionally, even when using actual audio data, it may be useful to
allow values outside this range for further processing (such as
amplifying a signal to [-2.0, +2.0] and putting it through a
hard-limiter for distortion effects).

--
Myk