Re: [linux-audio-dev] LADSPA clarifications?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] LADSPA clarifications?
From: Steve Harris (S.W.Harris_AT_ecs.soton.ac.uk)
Date: Mon Jul 15 2002 - 17:13:38 EEST

On Mon, Jul 15, 2002 at 03:25:04 +0200, Nathaniel Virgo wrote:

> > > 2. Is there any range constraint applied to the audio content
> > > communicated by the audio input/audio output ports?
> > > VST e.g. does restrict the range from -1.0 to +1.0.
> >
> > by convention, -1.0 to 1.0 (in most plugins and hosts)
> >

> I had assumed that this would be determined by any range hints on the plugin's input ports. Steve Harris's plugins use this convention, but not all hosts do (including applyplugin).

Actually, no. I just used the hints to indicate which plugins wouldn't
work when given arbitrtary amplitudes.

The actualy semantics of ranges don't quite map to the 0dB concept I was
trying to get across.

Anyway, as of 1.1 there will be a definate statement about 0dB in the
headerfile, and I will remove range hints on audio in/outs.

- Steve