Re: [linux-audio-dev] LADSPA Defaults via RDF

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] LADSPA Defaults via RDF
From: Steve Harris (S.W.Harris_AT_ecs.soton.ac.uk)
Date: Wed Jul 17 2002 - 14:37:00 EEST

On Wed, Jul 17, 2002 at 10:28:10 +1000, Conrad Parker wrote:
> For plugin (author-defined) defaults, I really can't see how any use of
> RDF/XML can be a good thing -- we really should be moving towards defining
> a getDefault() method in the API, and even dynamic parameter suggestions.

N.B. that is what I did, the RDF files are just the ondisk form of the
data, they aren't used directly.

> My concerns are:
> * bloat -- requiring all LADSPA hosts to link against libxml and
> * licensing -- requiring all LADSPA hosts to link to GPL code

Defining a C struct to describe settings (which I did, see above) only
solves half the problem. The other half is a way of transmitting the
defaults and presets between machines with different architectures.

The licencing issue I agree with, I would prefer LGPL.

> For user-defined presets, for which we need read/write access, do any of
> these XML libraries allow concurrent read/write? otherwise anyone using
> the same plugin in multiple apps concurrently is going to have a very
> easily corrupted preset system. (If we're going to link against GPL code
> anyway, we may as well use tdb [http://sourceforge.net/projects/tdb] :)

OTOH, I am starting to think that the live format should be a GDBM file
(or TDM, I assume its similar), and RDF/XML should just be used for
import/export. This adds an extra layer around the settings, but might be
generally better.

I'm think you'd need two GDBM files, eg.
/usr/lib/ladspa/settings/system.gdbm and ~/.ladspa/settings/user.gdbm

This has the advantage that multiple hosts can share the same, live
settings information.

- Steve