Re: [linux-audio-dev] Voltage: a vaporware audio/MIDI studio

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Voltage: a vaporware audio/MIDI studio
From: Paul Davis (pbd_AT_op.net)
Date: Fri Jul 19 2002 - 07:51:23 EEST

>I am designing a piece of MIDI/audio software for my own music making
>projects (and anyone else who wanted to use it of course). This is of
>course a large project. I would like anyone who is at all interested to
>please look over my design and tell me what you think. To quote my web
>page:

1) i think you need to check out jMax and/or PD (pure data)
2) you might also check octal, gstreamer
3) i think you're simultaneously under-estimating and over-estimating
    the amount of work.
4) designing around MIDI is a serious error. design around a much more
    flexible control protocol, preferably one without MIDI's pitch
    and resolution limitations, then convert MIDI to that protocol
    before making it visible in the processing graph/network.
5) JACK can do quite a lot of what you're imagining already. there
    are no graphical connection editors at this time. perhaps you
    could write one.
6) OTOH, the kinds of units you use in your examples (sine, freeverb)
    suggest that you'd be better off thinking entirely in terms
    of LADSPA-like units, or better yet, using PD and/or jMax which
    already do almost everything you describe, and a lot more
    besides, and have graphical interfaces (albeit not chromed like
    the typical VST or DirectX plugin). jMax (and probably PD too)
    also solves your entire "Meta-Machine" problem.

--p