Re: [linux-audio-dev] App intercomunication issues, some views.

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] App intercomunication issues, some views.
From: Bob Ham (node_AT_users.sourceforge.net)
Date: Tue Jul 23 2002 - 00:03:43 EEST

On Mon, 2002-07-22 at 21:18, Juan Linietsky wrote:

> So, what do you think about this issue? I'd really like to hear views
> on this since i guess it's probably
> the biggest problem the audio community is facing.

I've started working on the first; a big app that connects "things"
using jack and alsa seq. Basically a big gui and control engine to do
what people are doing atm with all the apps that fall under your second
category. So far, all I have are a load of thoughts and a few
tracer-bullet bits of code to poke around the various APIs.

What I envision being the result of this is an app similar to Logic
Audio's audio configuration screen where there are a number of mixer
strips with all the synth/effects settings configurable from it. Each
track would have an audio-producing object at the beginning (a midi
softsynth, or at least something which takes midi and gives out audio)
which can then get streamed into whatever audio-processing objects you
like, and finally shoved out to whatever jack app you want to use for
recording.

From a programmer's point of view, creating a soft-synth would be as
simple as inheriting a class and defining a number of ports designated
as control, midi or audio. The app takes care of the rest.

MIDI sequencing is a distant aim, but there's a few decent sequencers
already, so it should be possible to wrangle them into fulfilling that
function for the moment.

That's all I have to say about that.

Bob

--