Re: [linux-audio-dev] App intercomunication issues, some views.

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] App intercomunication issues, some views.
From: Paul Davis (pbd_AT_op.net)
Date: Tue Jul 23 2002 - 18:20:09 EEST

>I am not sure if this is the right way to go, but then I've never used the
>alsa seqeuncer API, and write no midi software anymore.
>
>What about the maximum jack buffer size issue. Is it reasonable to make
>all the apps do thier own limiting?

thats where the work comes in. the "read" side of the proposed
handling of MIDI is easy; the write side needs to collect data from
the ALSA sequencer and store it in shm or something like that. its all
a bit murky right now. there is no maximum buffer size, however, other
than system limits.

>Also, I suspect even more MIDI apps will be read/write based, and its more
>reasonable for them to be IMHO, that is actually how MIDI works at the low
>level, unlike PCM soundcards.

actually, i think its the opposite. most MIDI apps need to emit MIDI
data at specific times (hence the early development of the OSS
sequencer and now the ALSA one). write(2) of raw MIDI data doesn't
work (by itself) for this - the applications either have to do their
own timing, or they need to deliver event structures to some API that
does the timing for them.

for apps that use audio+MIDI, they will generally want to use the same
timebase for this. with ALSA right now, you can do this, but its not
trivial to set up, and has been subject to some wierd bugs which are
hopefully now fixed. if you do this at the JACK level (or if the ALSA
seq was in user space, or something)), i think this gets very easy to
implement.

a typical MIDI client that does MIDI output really wants to use a
queued write, which is more or less exactly what JACK's callback-based
handling of audio provides the major problem is that the granularity of
the MIDI timestamp is finer than the audio, because of the
block/chunked handling of audio.

--p