Re: [linux-audio-dev] App intercomunication issues, some views.

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] App intercomunication issues, some views.
From: Martijn Sipkema (msipkema_AT_sipkema-digital.com)
Date: Wed Jul 24 2002 - 13:13:34 EEST

[...]
> Its worth noting that SGI\'s \"DM\" API has never really taken
> off, and there are lots of reasons why, some technical, some
> political.

Perhaps. See http://www.khronos.org/ for where SGI\'s dmSDK might
still be going. I think this API might be good for video. So maybe
it is not that good for low latency audio. It still would be nice
to be able to use it together with the other Linux APIs and all that
would be required for that would be the use of UST in all APIs.

> the most fundamental problem with SGI\'s approach to audio+video is
> that its not based on the desirability of achieving low latency for
> realtime processing and/or monitoring. its centered on the playback of
> existing, edited, ready-to-view material. the whole section at the end
> of that page about \"pre-queuing\" the data makes this point very clear.

I agree that the API does not seem to be designed with realtime
processing/monitoring in mind. For video I do think the API is capable
of that, for audio probably not. I still think it is a nice API and
perhaps there is not one API for all...

--martijn