Re: [linux-audio-dev] App intercomunication issues, some views.

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] App intercomunication issues, some views.
From: n++k (knos_AT_free.fr)
Date: Thu Jul 25 2002 - 08:13:19 EEST

/wrote Paul Davis <pbd_AT_op.net> [Wed, 24 Jul 2002 15:05:24 -0400]

|>| thats the way to handle MIDI *input*. it doesn't really apply to
|>| output, though it would work there too.
|>
|>Yes, it's the symetrical case
|
|only theoretically. handling MIDI input is quite different than
|handling MIDI output. there is no scheduling necessary for MIDI input
|- the data arrives via the wire, and becomes available to use
|(preferably ASAP). in the output case, there are no pre-existing
|events to affect what process() does. so it really ends up being quite
|different.

Although you also have the case of sequencer-originated MIDI input,
that can and should be pre-queued.. so scheduling seems necessary
to me. (unless one considers treating both cases "just in time", but
it's surely not desireable to add jitter to sequencer originated
events)