Re: [linux-audio-dev] App intercomunication issues, some views. GSOUND ????

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] App intercomunication issues, some views. GSOUND ????
From: Toni Moreno Giménez (toni.moreno.gimenez_AT_wanadoo.es)
Date: Thu Aug 01 2002 - 21:43:56 EEST

El Lun 22 Jul 2002 22:18, escribiste:

> The first posture is to write big apps, with extra functionality added
> as host processing.
> This is the de-facto standard in windows & mac. Using this model, all
> kind of "extra" processing
> features (such as audio DSP, midi instruments/ports, and even some
> midi drivers) are realtime
> loaded into the program through a dynamic library model. This model
> has clear
> advantages in the sense that it can produce solid monstruous apps rich
> in functionality,
> and in general userfriendly for the new user who comes from other
> operating systems.
> But for us to develop these apps, we find ourselves with huge
> disadvantages, the first one
> is that, no matter how many host dsp is loaded, the app will end up
> being huge, and whoever
> develops it will need an enormous amount of time. The other issue with
> this is managing a common
> interface for the host plugins. The good thing also about this design
> is that it is compatible
> with the second posture mentioned (modular apps), since a host app can
> be easily turned
> into a network node.

I love this aproach, and I suggest to work some kind of _BIG_ library,
something like, DirectSound & DirectMusic, in a modular way.

I have been working for 2 years suding how to make this work in a "open
source" comunity. I have estudied hundreds of open projects and propietary
also, looking for common object and an easy way to divide work in
sub-libraries, each one containing.

a General Sound library (GSound) , needs for diferent kind of works.

I have divided GSound in these sub-libraries.

GsDev: low level access to any native/virtual audio/midi system.
(--Portaudio--/--PorMidi-)
GsData: a subset of tools to manage usual audio/midi data. (???)
GsCda: low level access to CD-RW/DVD hardware. (--CdParanoia--/--CdRecord--)
GsAmod: A "modular data flow graph filter" aproach. (???)
Gsff: A set of tools to make I/O from diferent File Formats (Libsndfile,
libaudiofile)
GsDsp: Common DSP operations. (Csound/Mustajuuri/MPEG4)

This projects is named as "Nexus Sound Project", as we are working on join in
a common library all needed features ready to make big projects.

http://nexus.hispalinux.es

You can see a design doc on
http://nexus.hispalinux.es/docs/gsound/design/memoria.pdf

(This doc is is spanish, but has several schematics about each diferent
sub-lib).

Nexus Project also has 2 GUI libs based on GTK (GtkSound and Gtkskin ), to
make easier make good GUI's.

To make sure the GSound API has the needed features, we are working also on
diferent applications, who help us to desing, detect/fix bugs, and redesing
the API if needed.

NxsTools: Something like SoX.
NxsAudio: A single audio editor (Similar to Soundforge)
NxsrRAck: A rebirth 338 clone
NxsrDJ: somthing like Tracktor DJ.

And perhaps some day apps like Nuendo and Reason.

And we are actively working with gimp users to make GUI's like the rebirth
Clone:

http://fco-gimeno.com/~kikov/
(On this graphics you are watching the rebirth clone, we can't announce on
the web page due to image copyright, so we are working on our own controls
with gimp-users)

If somebody interested, we have lot of diferent work to discuss and make,
mainly, about midi, file formats, DSP, Graphics, gimp, documentation adn
translation, webmaster.

I need experts on asm (AT&T), C, Posix 1e, Dsp, etc.

this project is not only for linux, it's architecture let us easily port to
other native systems , Win ,MacOS, etc.

Kind Regards.

(Sorry for my poor english.)

--