Re: [linux-audio-dev] App intercomunication issues, some views. GSOUND ????

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] App intercomunication issues, some views. GSOUND ????
From: Joshua Haberman (joshua_AT_haberman.com)
Date: Fri Aug 02 2002 - 06:24:24 EEST

* Toni Moreno Giménez (toni.moreno.gimenez_AT_wanadoo.es) wrote:
> El Vie 02 Ago 2002 03:41, escribiste:
> > Once you have a system that exists, you can argue that your design is
> > better than another system that also exists. Until then, your criticism of
> > the design of applications that do exist is not very compelling, IMO.
>
> You have not understood what I'm doing.
>
> I only want to avoid all innecesary work for doing common features in
> diferent kind of applications

The kinds of things that can be usefully abstracted and factored of of
specific applications into common libraries already have been.

    - Audio I/O (PortAudio, libao)
    - File format handling (libsndfile, libaudiofile)
    - Audio processing plugins (LADSPA, VST)
    - interapp communication (JACK)

Anything more specific than this is tightly coupled to the design of the
specific application.

Josh

--
Joshua Haberman  <joshua_AT_haberman.com>