Re: [linux-audio-dev] Audio Recording Libs

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Audio Recording Libs
From: Stefan Westerfeld (stefan_AT_space.twc.de)
Date: Sat Aug 03 2002 - 14:34:53 EEST

   Hi!

On Fri, Aug 02, 2002 at 09:12:21PM +0530, Tapan S. Parikh wrote:
> Audio newbie question... Id like to be able to record audio from the
> mic at the touch of a button in my Gnome app. Is there a best way to
> do this? Are there some standard libs available for something like
> this?

There are standard libraries for sound output (such as libao and linsdl), but
as far as I can see, there is still no "standard solution" for doing sound
input or full duplex. This is especially annoying since depending on the
system your application is running on, you might be confronted with a sound
server like esd, artsd, jackd, nas, mas, asd or similar, or different hardware
abstraction like oss, alsa, solaris, aix and so on. Right now, lots of
applications are thus carrying around a bunch of code which gets developed
over and over again for "just" recording (or even playing) something.

This is why Tim Janik and I created the CSL (common sound layer) library. While
it is not yet API-frozen, and quite a bit of work needs to be done, especially
for increasing the number of supported backends, I think this library is
ultimately what you might want to use.

You can grab it at http://www.arts-project.org/.

   Cu... Stefan

--
  -* Stefan Westerfeld, stefan_AT_space.twc.de (PGP!), Hamburg/Germany