[linux-audio-dev] using SB Live (emu 10K1) for realtime sample rate conversion?

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] using SB Live (emu 10K1) for realtime sample rate conversion?
From: olaf_AT_expansions.nl
Date: Tue Aug 06 2002 - 11:04:10 EEST

Hello,

i am new to this list, so i guess a short intro is a decent thing to do:
I am Olaf, 29years, from Utrecht, the Netherlands. Working in the internet
bizz but also giving a lot of time to my (part hardware part software)
studio where i produce mainly (deep)house and lofi electro stuff. I also DJ,
but not on a regular base as the music i play is not liked very much by the
masses that want simple cheese trance it seems ;) my mixes can be heard
online at www.expansions.nl

Currently i am trying to start a DIY audio device based on linux..i already
found some people around me that are willing to handle certain tasks like
hardware design, programming etc.etc. ..my task in this is mainly doing
functional design and project management.

Right now we're looking at the smartest way to do realtime sample rate
conversion (ie change playing speed) on 2 mp3 audio files at once, which
should be good quality (ie good anti aliasing filters), low latency (beneath
12ms), stable, fast and the output should be send to 2 independent analogue
stereo outputs. (yes yes, *another* DJ'ing device ;)

For our proof-of-concept prototype we were looking at using a simple
Creative SB Live 1024 card with the emu 10K1 chipset on it. The specs of
this chip show us 2 independent stereo outs and on-chip sample rate
conversion including anti aliasing filters. Does any of you know if it's
possible under Linux/FreeBSD to do this? Ie use 2 stereo outputs
independently, and/or do sample rate conversion on the chip in steps of 0,1%
(base rate will be 44.1 KHz i think, so the sample rate should be able to
increment or decrement around this 44.1KHz)

Last question: are there any 4channel high quality PCI based soundcards
around that can be used for the above? All the good soundcards i know of (ie
delta range, RME) use external convertor boxes...

i already searched the archives and the web but didn't find a good answer to
my questions yet, that's the reason i ask here.

thanks, Olaf
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler. -Albert
Einstein"

[EXPANSIONS] Online mixes: http://www.expansions.nl/ go to "Mixes 'n
Samples"