Re: [linux-audio-dev] analysis/resynthesis environment?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] analysis/resynthesis environment?
From: Frank Barknecht (barknech_AT_ph-cip.uni-koeln.de)
Date: Tue Aug 06 2002 - 11:48:09 EEST

Hi,
Andrew W. Schmeder hat gesagt: // Andrew W. Schmeder wrote:

> My understanding of the theory is that there is a mathematical restriction
> which says all analysis methods must admit a certain degree of uncertainty in
> time and/or frequency space. Certainty in one space is inversely proportional
> to certainty in the other space. This is also known as the heisenberg
> uncertainty principle.

Well, in fact it has not really anything to do with Heisenberg. It may
be a similar phenomenon as described in Heisenbergs uncertainty
principle, but Heiseberg describes the uncertainty of measurements on
a quantum physical scale and says, that these are quantized with
Planck's h.

What you describe is the analogon to Heisenberg in classical wave
mechanics but this is much older than Heisenberg.

But I'm getting off-topic now...

ciao,