Re: [linux-audio-dev] using SB Live (emu 10K1) for realtime sample rate conversion?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] using SB Live (emu 10K1) for realtime sample rate conversion?
From: olaf_AT_expansions.nl
Date: Wed Aug 07 2002 - 11:01:39 EEST

----- Original Message -----
From: Frank van de Pol <fvdpol_AT_home.nl>
To: <linux-audio-dev_AT_music.columbia.edu>
Sent: Tuesday, August 06, 2002 11:36 PM
Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] using SB Live (emu 10K1) for realtime sample
rate conversion?

(http://www.maz-sound.com/archives/awewaveplayer-03f.tgz)

> Of course all this hassle makes your mp3 box very hardware dependend and
not
> very portable. If CPU power is no objection I would opt for the software
> solution (which could give you also the possibility to scrub/play the
sample
> backward like on a normal deck (turntable). (see alsaplayer /
terminatorx).

unfortunately CPU power is a problem, so it doesn't seem an option to do
high quality sample rate conversion and anti-aliasing in software as our CPU
will probably run out of juice... btw, there is also hardware that can do
the scrub thing these days, my idea was as most DAC's (like the Crystal DA
converters) offer sample rates from 2kHz up to 100kHz by setting the
masterclock freq this could also be done using a hardware solution...

wat i don't understand right now: f.e. the EMU 10K1 chip also offers custom
sample rates by setting a master clock, but non of the drivers i've seen
seems to have implemented this...i think this is because of the fact that
the Creative hardware on which the emu chip is used doesn't cater for
non-regular sample-rates?

thanks for all the feedback!

Olaf