Re: [linux-audio-dev] analysis/resynthesis environment? -- and scientific-audio-list?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] analysis/resynthesis environment? -- and scientific-audio-list?
From: Andrew W. Schmeder (andy_AT_e-molecule.com)
Date: Fri Aug 09 2002 - 01:39:11 EEST

> Here at Ircam they mainly use Matlab, but unfortunately I'd have to be
> naughty te get it running on my laptop at home. And I don't like that. So I'd
> rather try to do the same stuff in Octave, which isn't straightforward.

Octave is almost as good as older versions of matlab (<= 5.0). The primary
advantage of Matlab over Octave is the recent addition of "real programming
features", e.g. cell arrays, better object support, java integration. However
these days I recommend Python with Numeric/Scientific/SciPy extensions over
Octave (and over Matlab). In addition to Python's unquestionably superior
language support and library integration, Numeric offers some extra features
such as typed matrices. (IIRC in Matlab/Octave all matrices are of type
double).

  --andy

Andrew W. Schmeder
andy_AT_e-molecule.com