Re: [linux-audio-dev] Alas, reborn is no more?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Alas, reborn is no more?
From: Will Benton (willb_AT_cs.wisc.edu)
Date: Thu Aug 15 2002 - 09:07:40 EEST

This smells funny. "Unfortunately, because the UI is infringing, I
can't distribute the source." There are so many ways around that that
it's not funny, starting with the most basic -- removing the
"reborn.rma" file from the distribution. I don't want to question
this fellow's motives -- especially since DMCA-happy companies are
ever more and more absurd -- but I wouldn't be surprised if this was
fabricated to drum up publicity for his next project. Hopefully, it
will be jackified, midi-controllable, and GPLed; because those alone
would have made reborn ultra-cool (not just, as it is, "cool").

OTOH, since the main contributions of ReBorn seem to be a
ReBirth-like UI for gsynth and for two sample players as well as a
reader for ReBirth files, propellerheads might have some legal ground
to stand on. (The name is certainly confusing from a trademark
standpoint.) But isn't Sweden (where propellerheads is) immune to
look-and-feel copyrights and software patents?

As for finding reborn -- submit the story to slashdot and within
minutes, it will be posted with some melodramatic screed about
"megacorporations", and at least thirty people will offer links to
their mirrors of it in the comments.

wb

--
Will Benton      | "Die richtige Methode der Philosophie wäre eigentlich
willb_AT_acm.org    |  die: Nichts zu sagen, als was sich sagen läßt...."