Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: [ardour-dev] experiences and reflections from the UK - trim handles

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: [ardour-dev] experiences and reflections from the UK - trim handles
From: Paul Davis (pbd_AT_op.net)
Date: Thu Aug 15 2002 - 22:14:37 EEST

  [ ... sort of the wrong list ... i don't know how or why this
        ended up here ... ]

>it appears to me that the PT trim mode is _very_ quick (depending
>on whether you have to switch mouse tools). The main drawback i see
>with using handles is the requirement for precision mousing - it can
>get very tiring after a full-on day in the studio, and the required accuracy i
>s a barrier to increased productivity.

this is easily solved by using handles that are actually rather
large. for example, when the mouse pointer is in the lower left and
right quadrants of the region, it can be used to trim. no precision
mousing there. PT does this in its "smart mouse" mode, which i
*suspect* is what most PT fulltimers use most of the time. the handles
can either be dropped or just be used as "reminders".

>PT trim mode also has a 'TCE' sub-mode which will timestretch to the
>indicated position. It would seem prudent to plan for options such as
>this, that will hopefully be standard on DAW's before too long :-)

duly added to the Ardour TODO list under "desirable features".

>I would imagine this was easier to incorporate into a dedicated trim tool
>than using yet another modifier key on a handle...

why? PT is "famous" for its wide use of the keyboard to speed up operation.

>I'm a Logic user, btw, (and not Protools), so it worries me to see
>features taken from what is generally considered to be Logics'
>inferior rival:-) I know i am on dodgy ground here, and it isnt that
>Cubase doesnt have good fea tures, but i would hope people are at
>least as familiar with Logics more professional & flexible (if more
>difficult to learn) approach, as with Cubase, although i fear
>not.....

you should probably take a look at cubase sx. its not a new version of
cubase vst, its a completely new program derived from the nuendo
codebase (and according to some people, even better for some things
than nuendo). i wouldn't look to cubase vst for inspiration except in
its MIDI editing stuff, which many people seem to think is excellent.

--p