Re: [linux-audio-dev] What I think about reborn.

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] What I think about reborn.
From: Juan Linietsky (coding_AT_reduz.com.ar)
Date: Thu Aug 15 2002 - 23:19:59 EEST

On Thu, 15 Aug 2002 15:00:22 -0500
Billy Biggs <vektor_AT_dumbterm.net> wrote:

> Reduz,
>
> Juan Linietsky (coding_AT_reduz.com.ar):
>
> > [...] Yes, the author is free to do whathever he wants, and he
> > owns his work, but that doesnt mean we cant criticize his
> > behavior.
>
> Here you're right. You can criticize him all you like.
>
> > To which i'd really like to tell him, license is _very_ important.
> > We
> > write software with the hopes that will benefit US and OTHERS,
> > also we love to share our code with others. People has used code
> > from my programs, and I have used the code from other people, and
> > we avovoid a huge duplicated effort for each thing we do, while
> > all benefiting. Many of us deffent this ideal and encourage it.
>
> And here I think you're wrong.
>
> I know that I write software mostly because it's fun, and I'm
> pretty
> sure you do to. When I write software, I often like to start mostly
> from scratch: why? because you learn alot. Why do you think there
> are alot of very similar apps for linux? Coding is fun, even more
> fun from scratch. So, I don't think that 'avoiding a huge
> duplicated effort' is really a shared goal here.

No? then why do you think we have things such as the ladspa plugins,
freeverb, alsa sequencer, libsndfile,etc? And why do you think the
guy originlly used gsynth code? You may not think that way,
but i dont think everyone does, and not even the author of reborn
from what it seems. Please, even you told me that you wanted to use
the effect code from shaketracker in tektracker ;)

> And yes, license is important, but I think it's more important to
> have
> more programmers targeting linux for their hobby applications.
> We're short on developers on pretty much every project, having a
> rebirth clone available is a small price to pay for having another
> developer who could be contributing elsewhere.

Well, first issue answers the second, we're short on developers
and our time isnt infinite, I agree! So this is why we share and
publish using open licenses and encourage this.

> One last thought, I bet his 'kickass app' will still include the
> 303
> emulation and the drum machines, so you need not worry so much about
> losing all those precious lines of source code.

Fine, as long as he opensources that, i'd love to include them on the
legasynth
package.

Juan Linietsky