Re: [linux-audio-dev] midi events in jack callback (was: Reborn)

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] midi events in jack callback (was: Reborn)
From: Billy Biggs (vektor_AT_dumbterm.net)
Date: Fri Aug 16 2002 - 20:09:55 EEST

Paul Davis (pbd_AT_op.net):

> > What do you think the solution is? [...]
>
> the hard-timers patch or something like it needs to go into the
> kernel.

  Thanks for clarifying.

> >ardour apparently outputs MIDI clock sync. [...]
>
> no, it outputs MIDI Time Code, which is an entirely different beast.

  Ah, that explains alot.

> >using my drum machine or hard disk recorder as the clock source.
>
> these devices provide a very low resolution clock, and it can't be
> used to schedule MIDI data, only to provide a low resolution
> positional reference.

  24ppq is fine when your sequencer only schedules notes on 24ppq
boundaries. :)

  You're right though, I badly need hard timers, but my point was that
an 8192hz clock isn't so bad if you only use it for events which are
unaligned on 24ppq boundaries. Otherwise, I have to trust the MIDI
clock for audio too, or my drumroll will stutter when I turn the tempo
knob while playing.

--
Billy Biggs
vektor_AT_dumbterm.net