Re: [linux-audio-dev] midi events in jack callback (was: Reborn)

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] midi events in jack callback (was: Reborn)
From: Paul Davis (pbd_AT_op.net)
Date: Fri Aug 16 2002 - 21:22:35 EEST

>So we need something which handles the timing like the DirectMusic(tm) in the
>Linux kernel.

not at all. we just need very accurate scheduling, which implies
either:

  1) an incredibly high timer interrupt.
OR
  2) interrupts when needed.

1) costs too much on most, if not all, hardware. to match the MIDI
   data rate with a power-of-2 frequency ... ick!

2) is cheap, the patch exists, and we should consider promoting it as
   widely as the low latency patches.

by providing accurate scheduling, you can say to the kernel

   "wake me in 2.4msec"

and assuming you have the correct scheduling policy and priority, and
nothing is there to outrank you on that, you will be woken in 2.4msec
+/- 0.001msec.

thats all that is needed to do this stuff properly.

--p