Re: [linux-audio-dev] analysis/resynthesis environment: python?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] analysis/resynthesis environment: python?
From: Paul Winkler (pw_lists_AT_slinkp.com)
Date: Fri Aug 16 2002 - 22:49:07 EEST

On Fri, Aug 16, 2002 at 11:26:32AM -0700, Brian Redfern wrote:
> Actually a physicicst in northern germany came up with a realtime python
> binding to alsa audio:
> http://home3.ecore.net/cafeconleche/
> Its not complete (audio support only, no midi), but it looks like it
> works, I'm downloading tonight after work to give it a try, it would
> certainly be easier to write an alsa app in python instead of having to
> master pointer arthmetic, etc. Also using pygame for a gui and alsa audio
> could create a really cool looking gui without much effort. I don't know
> how many people have played with Tritonous (I haven't been able to get it
> to work on my machine), but that gives bindings from java to alsa, so one
> could program alsa from jython.

This stuff is all way cool, but I doubt we'll ever get good low-latency
realtime performance unless the python part of the app is well insulated
from alsa or jack or whatever. Even if your python code is real fast
you never know when the interpreter is going to take a little longer
to get something done...

personally I've been pondering how to make a PyGame interface
to an sfront audio engine, and do all my audio code in SAOL.

--PW

Paul Winkler "Welcome to Muppet Labs, where the future is made - today!"