[linux-audio-dev] Re: [Csnd] RME boards for Linux/Csound

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] Re: [Csnd] RME boards for Linux/Csound
From: jpff_AT_codemist.co.uk
Date: Wed Aug 21 2002 - 22:42:01 EEST

I have a Hammerfall Lite on one of my Linux machines, with external
DACs in the speakers. I regret this decision almost every day. It
took MONTHS to get an alsa driver which occasionally worked; it would
run out of memory, refuse to load, etc and the alsa mailing list was
close to useless. I have arrived at the stage where I can play MP3
via mpg123, MIDI via Timidity, and mono files with aplay, but stereo
files are rendered as silence, albeit of the same length. The OSS
emulation player does play stereo usually. Mind you it breaks up
badly.
  I have a M-Audio DiO 2496 on my mail home machine and that is
simpler, and I am very happy with it (except reading digital from the
DAT took 6 months of experimentation -- think I have cracked it last
July; I was rebooting into W98 to read DATS). The lab machine have a
Audiophile, which has not been so extensively used yet, but so far
seems OK.

Of course you may manage it better than I did; YMMV etc etc.

==John ffitch