Re: [linux-audio-dev] LADPSA v1.1 SDK Provisional Release

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] LADPSA v1.1 SDK Provisional Release
From: Steve Harris (S.W.Harris_AT_ecs.soton.ac.uk)
Date: Thu Aug 22 2002 - 18:58:43 EEST

On Thu, Aug 22, 2002 at 04:42:04 +0200, Stefan Kost wrote:
> 4.) One feature I miss in the descriptor is grouping control ports

I think this is a bit sophisticated. Its more of a GUI issue.

> 6.) Control-Domains. For SoundFX I have written a small library to convert
> units. Therefore I have isolated 7 domains (like amplitude, frequency and time)
> in the field of audio-applications. Supplying this along with the control port,

The RDF description files can represent this, though I haven't put it in
the bulk file, as its a lot of typing. See
http://plugin.org.uk/lrdf/sample.rdf

<ladspa:hasUnits rdf:resource="&ladspa;dB" />
and the shecma file for the units relations
http://plugin.org.uk/lrdf/ladspa.rdfs
e.g.

<!-- a class of units describing amplitude -->
<rdfs:Class rdf:about="&ladspa;AmplitudeUnit">
  <rdfs:subClassOf rdf:resource="&ladspa;Unit" />
</rdfs:Class>

<!-- an instance of an amplitude unit -->
<ladspa:AmplitudeUnits rdf:about="&ladspa;dB" />

The units structure isn't fixed yet, and comments are welcome.

> Apart from that I still see a problem for integer controls port. There is
> currently no way to supply labels for the single values.

Again, this can be done in RDF:
http://plugin.org.uk/lrdf/sample.rdf

<ladspa:hasScale>
  <ladspa:Scale>
    <ladspa:hasPoint>
      <ladspa:Point rdf:value="1" ladspa:hasLabel="Sine" />
    </ladspa:hasPoint>
    <ladspa:hasPoint>
      <ladspa:Point rdf:value="2" ladspa:hasLabel="Triangle" />
    </ladspa:hasPoint>
    <ladspa:hasPoint>
      <ladspa:Point rdf:value="3" ladspa:hasLabel="Square" />
    </ladspa:hasPoint>
    <ladspa:hasPoint>
      <ladspa:Point rdf:value="4" ladspa:hasLabel="Saw" />
    </ladspa:hasPoint>
  </ladspa:Scale>
</ladspa:hasScale>

which describes 4 values on a control that corespond to the four basic
waveforms.

Sorry for the long winded post.

The ladspa rdf library still isn't finished, but hopefully I will be able
to produce a beta this weekend.

- Steve