Re: [linux-audio-dev] [SOURCE] rt monitor to kill runaway RT processes

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] [SOURCE] rt monitor to kill runaway RT processes
From: Stefan Westerfeld (stefan_AT_space.twc.de)
Date: Thu Aug 29 2002 - 22:16:59 EEST

   Hi!

On Wed, Aug 28, 2002 at 10:15:54AM -0400, Paul Davis wrote:
> a side note: JACK, when run in RT mode, launches its own maximal
> priority thread to perform exactly this function. all other RT threads
> run at lower priorities. i believe that it is not possible to use JACK
> to perform DOS attacks like this unless the client modifies its
> scheduling priority itself.

As far as I understood this, you have a client thread with raised priority
that gets monitored. However, couldn't an attacker fork() in this thread,
to transport priviledges to another (unrelated) process, and then kill -9
all other processes with priviledges, and then do his DOS attack?

   Cu... Stefan

--
  -* Stefan Westerfeld, stefan_AT_space.twc.de (PGP!), Hamburg/Germany