Re: [linux-audio-dev] [SOURCE] rt monitor to kill runaway RT processes

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] [SOURCE] rt monitor to kill runaway RT processes
From: Ingo Oeser (ingo.oeser_AT_informatik.tu-chemnitz.de)
Date: Fri Aug 30 2002 - 10:45:01 EEST

On Thu, Aug 29, 2002 at 09:12:07PM +0200, Stefan Westerfeld wrote:
> I am very interested in that. In all the discussions we had
> about the RT issue in aRts, things usually came to the point:
> basically, it is a kernel bug, that as soon as you use RT prio,
> your system becomes unstable. Especially if you combine that
> with dynamically loaded modules, which even might be third
> party, both approaches to work around the problem break.

This is no kernel BUG, this is POSIX. People actually rely on POSIX in
this regard and the kernel has to follow.

If you work around Unix protection mechanisms by loading unknown
code into the virtual memory image of your privileged application
YOU are opening a security hole and cannot expect the kernel to
protect you or your user.

For the kernel you and the malicous code you just loaded as you
module is EXACTLY THE SAME unless you give it a seperate process.

So please stop pointing out kernel bugs, where the kernel is
behaving as required by POSIX and people who use the POSIX
features.

Regards

Ingo Oeser

--
Science is what we can tell a computer. Art is everything else. --- D.E.Knuth