[linux-audio-dev] Question regarding network coding

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] Question regarding network coding
From: Ivica Bukvic (ico_AT_fuse.net)
Date: Sat Aug 31 2002 - 06:49:32 EEST

Hi all,

I have a quick question and am in a kind of a time crunch, so I'd
appreciate any help I can get (except for the RTFM-like comments :-).

I am working on an app where I'll need some networking done. Basically,
I just need the application to be able to be both the server and a
client (in another words configurable for both), so that two instances
of this app can intercommunicate simple struct variables (which are
collections of ints, and strings).

I am already aware of some networking stuff, but am not sure as to how
to make client aware that the server has finished sending the struct
(since some values, like strings can be of different lengths, I can not
simply just specify a fixed size of the information to be received).

So, my thought is that I prolly need to send some kind of a terminating
piece of information to the client, so that the client is aware where
each value from the struct ends in order to place each of the values
into the struct before processing it. But the question is how to do
this?

Is network transfer of data pretty much like cout and other iostream
operations, or is there more to it?

Furthermore, the only time I worked with network stuff was with
streaming soundfiles, it seems that the process would be stuck in a loop
until the transfer was complete. So my question is how do I make this
networking process instantiate itself, but then let it run as a
side-routine? Do I need to create a separate thread (or thread(s) in the
case there are more clients) in order to have these networking processes
running?

Finally, any example code you can point me towards, (preferably snippets
of code, rather than advice like "go check out ardour CVS" :-) would be
utmostly appreciated!

Thank you very much!

Sincerely,

Ivica Ico Bukvic, composer, multimedia sculptor,
programmer, webmaster & computer consultant
http://meowing.ccm.uc.edu/~ico/
ico_AT_fuse.net
"To be is to do" - Socrates
"To do is to be" - Sartre