Re: [linux-audio-dev] emagic (logic) drops VST support under OS X

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] emagic (logic) drops VST support under OS X
From: Steve Harris (S.W.Harris_AT_ecs.soton.ac.uk)
Date: Mon Sep 02 2002 - 16:20:05 EEST

On Mon, Sep 02, 2002 at 08:41:10 -0400, Paul Davis wrote:
> my impression from reading the AudioUnits docs of late last year was
> that there was no mention of graphics at all in the API. thats why it
> seemed hard to figure out if they are in-process or o-o-p. otoh, i

Yes, the API doc I found after this had no mention of UI stuff.

> i think that VST is actually much better
> overall, but it has some rough edges that might, or might not, be
> fixed in 3.0. VST is a lot, lot, lot more tested in the real world.

Sure, but unless they change the licence VST isn't really an option IMHO.
There are some things I don't like about it too.

> the AudioUnit API still shows way too many signs of "Apple-speak" for
> me. i can't really pin down what i mean by this, but whenever i browse
> the API specs, i just have this pascal-y, motorola-ish feeling in my
> gut :)

;) I dont see any pascal traces, but there is something a little alien
about it. Do you know if AudioUnits is objective-c based, that would
explain it.

> plus there's that little problem with AudioUnits not being capable of
> capture as of a few months back. somebody on the VST plugins list
> claimed it was something to do with a kernel thread design issue -
> quite deep, if true.

I wasn't aware that VST plugins could do capture. I /guess/ thats a
desirable feature.

- Steve