Re: LADPA (was Re: [linux-audio-dev] emagic (logic) drops VST support under OS X)

Subject: Re: LADPA (was Re: [linux-audio-dev] emagic (logic) drops VST support under OS X)
From: Steve Harris (S.W.Harris_AT_ecs.soton.ac.uk)
Date: Wed Sep 04 2002 - 17:31:27 EEST

On Wed, Sep 04, 2002 at 06:11:23 -0400, drclaw_AT_dogsolitude.org wrote:
> Before I go off ranting about the current state of audio guis, are you
> saying that clients with different gui toolkits can't connect to the
> same jack server? That seems kinda messed up to me... I feel like I'm
> misunderstanding.

They can't live in the same jack process. That is not the same thing. A
jack graph consists of one or more processes, linked by shm, and assorted
other unixisms.

Curently the minimum number of jack processes to do anything is 2 - one for
the graph handling server and driver handling code and one for the
application.

In the future, jack apps should be able to share processes, but, obviously
you will need a minimum of one process per toolkit.

- Steve