Re: LADPA (was Re: [linux-audio-dev] emagic (logic) drops VST support under OS X)

Subject: Re: LADPA (was Re: [linux-audio-dev] emagic (logic) drops VST support under OS X)
From: Steve Harris (S.W.Harris_AT_ecs.soton.ac.uk)
Date: Wed Sep 04 2002 - 23:52:03 EEST

On Wed, Sep 04, 2002 at 03:57:19 -0400, Paul Davis wrote:
> yes, and it would be less than a few hours to get it working.
>
> the problem is that many of the interesting data types are variable
> sized. MIDI is the most obvious.

I think MIDI is OK, the ammount of events you can have per unit time is
limited, so the maximimum buffer size is limited. If you use a fairly
efficient MIDI representation its pretty small or normal jack period sizes
eg. <= 1024.

> i think the right thing to do is to add information on whether ports
> of a given type should participate in graph ordering. the default
> would be just to use audio ports (perhaps). maintaining N graphs seems

Right, but ignoring non-audio ports I think you will end up with N
disconnected graphs (one app level graph + one or more subgraphs for each
app (the apps private plugin graph)). What would happen to jackd if you
built disconnected graphs now?

It depends on how people wire up thier "plugins".

- Steve