Re: [linux-audio-dev] LADSPA and TiMidity++

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] LADSPA and TiMidity++
From: Josh Green (jgreen_AT_users.sourceforge.net)
Date: Wed Sep 18 2002 - 21:41:01 EEST

On Tue, 2002-09-17 at 23:26, Richard Bown wrote:
> On Wednesday 18 September 2002 01:50, David Olofson wrote:
>
> > I was thinking about CCs, Program Change and stuff. Is there a
> > standard way of asking a synth for the names of it's patches, or
> > which CCs are assigned to what, for example?
>
> I was wondering aloud to Peter (iiwusynth) about this a while ago.
> You could implement this kind of stuff in SysExs quite easily and if you
> could strip program names from a soundfont too it might prove even more
> useful. A softsynth description databurst to the sequencer on connection
> could then populate the appropriate information including soft synth
> version and features.
>
> I'd love to see this kind of interface and indeed would probably have a
> go at hacking one together when I'm not so busy doing more fundamental
> stuff. Of course as John points out against MIDI hardware this kind of
> stuff is a lot of work (but still feasible) - with timidity and iiwusynth
> we could probably come to some sort of arrangement.

I have also been thinking about this kind of stuff as of late and would
like to see support for retrieving this information from Swami (adding
it to iiwusynth is probably all thats needed). I've been musing over
using SysExs for custom iiwusynth features like Reverb/Chorus settings,
but it never occured to me to use SysExs for querying of patch names,
etc. I would like to be a part of this development. I did some searching
on the net for SysEx messages related to querying instrument
(program/preset/patch) names, but didn't find anything concrete as far
as a specification.

I wonder how one would go about creating such a standard? Would we need
to obtain a Manufacturer's ID for our SysEx standard? If we can find an
existing standard we could just use it (we would then be using a
companies ID). I see that a manufacturer's ID of 0x7D is listed as
"non-commercial" on one web site, and then another as educational use
only, not meant for use in distributed systems.

It might prove to be a real pain to get an ID for ourselves. Perhaps
someone in the Linux community already has one? Cheers.
        Josh Green