[linux-audio-dev] Buffer size settings for alsa itself

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] Buffer size settings for alsa itself
From: Mark Knecht (markknecht_AT_attbi.com)
Date: Wed Sep 25 2002 - 03:38:59 EEST

Hi,
   I'm reading through the Alsa HOWTO and wondering if there are any buffer
setting or other options for setting internal buffer sizes in Alsa? I
normally set these things myself in jack, but in this case cannot.

   One individual that I'm working with is getting excessive xruns on a
laptop. His BIOS does not seem to allow IRQs be set for any internal device.
His sound chip is on IRQ5, which is about as bad as it's going to get.

   He is attempting to play a DVD to his screen and sound device, but is
getting excessive xruns. We're just searching around for ideas on how to
approach the problem.

   If there are no module load options, might this be approached by setting
some buffer size in alsa itself and recompiling?

   Anyway, thanks!

Mark