Re: [linux-audio-dev] we should start testing kernel 2.5 ...

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] we should start testing kernel 2.5 ...
From: Andrew Morton (akpm_AT_digeo.com)
Date: Mon Sep 30 2002 - 09:18:15 EEST

Paul Davis wrote:

> from kernel traffic:
>
> Linus agreed that if the VM is as good as it seems to be, indeed
> the upcoming release deserves to be called 3.0. But he also pointed
> out that there are many silent users who tend not to speak up until
> there is an official release. He asks, "people who are having VM
> trouble with the current 2.5.x series, please _complain_, and tell
> what your workload is. Don't sit silent and make us think we're good
> to go.. And if Ingo is right, I'll do the 3.0.x thing." ---
>
> since the VM system has screwed us streaming audio types in the past,
> it seems wise for us to try it out soon. still, i can't say i'm
> thrilled at the prospect ...

oy! I heard that.

I've been poking Robert about running the latency numbers for the
2.5 series but he's being sluggish.

Yes, please test. You won't get anything serious out of Linus'
kernel at present, so please add the latest -mm patch onto whatever
you get from kernel.org. They're at
http://www.zip.com.au/~akpm/linux/patches/2.5/

Enable kernel preemption and give it a whizz [good luck with the
sound drivers though :(] We should be looking fairly good from
the latency POV, but NOW is the time to identify any problems.