Re: [linux-audio-dev] Linux Interface to Roland VS-880

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Linux Interface to Roland VS-880
From: Christian Henz (chrhenz_AT_gmx.de)
Date: Thu Oct 03 2002 - 18:28:54 EEST

On Tue, Oct 01, 2002 at 03:31:55PM -0500, Michael J McGonagle wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I was hoping to find some information regarding hooking up a Roland
> Digital Studio VS-880 to a Linux machine. This is a preliminary
> configuration, so any suggestion as to setting this up, I would be
> interested in hearing what you might have to say. Also, if there is a
> better system to do this with, I would appreciate comments there as well.

Hooking up means MIDI only, i guess. There was some software available on
for the Mac to remote control the VS and there also was some special
light version of Logic that did the same i guess, but it was
only distributed in the US so I don't know more about it :( You could
also hook up the VS's harddrive to you computer, but that was only useful
for MAS-mode (the uncompressed, 6-channel one) because the normal
(8-track) modes use some proprietary Roland compression...

As for linux, I think the only way to do it is to read the midi
specification for the VS and hack your own...

cheers,
Christian Henz