Re: [linux-audio-dev] Final Scratch, custom kernel?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Final Scratch, custom kernel?
From: Steve Harris (S.W.Harris_AT_ecs.soton.ac.uk)
Date: Mon Oct 07 2002 - 23:23:48 EEST

On Mon, Oct 07, 2002 at 09:08:03 +0200, Thomas Grill wrote:
> > The final scratch plates have time info encoded in the signal. Not that
> > I know much about it, but I'd imagine that was, in fact, the only thing
> > encoded in the signal; can't think of much use for anything else.
>
> Well i guess encoding absolute time should not be too hard.
> A simple solution could be to have the two stereo channels with different
> frequencies, with the ratio corresponding to the radial position.
> Or is that not accurate enough?

I think stereo is an encoding on records, you might not be able to encode
that.

You could do it with two mixed signals though, a saw and sin of the same
aplitude. The sin could start at just higher frequency than the saws
fundamental and end fairly high, then you can just do frequency extraction
to find the position.

Maybe you could use a Grey Coding technique to determine position and
speed in one. Or data recorded in a 8bit computer loading noise type way.

It would be interesting to see whats on the Final Scratch disk.

- Steve