RE: [linux-audio-dev] Quick and efficient sound daemon idea -- wh y not do it this way?

Subject: RE: [linux-audio-dev] Quick and efficient sound daemon idea -- wh y not do it this way?
From: STEFFL, ERIK (SBCSI) ("STEFFL,)
Date: Thu Oct 17 2002 - 00:16:41 EEST

  this might be solved by user space device drivers - they do not want the
mixer in kernel... once the userspace device drivers are available it will
be possible to implement what you propose, I guess. not sure what's the
latest news as far as the userspace device drivers go...

  the other option is that one of the APIs will become roughly as common as
OSS is today (so that virtually no applications will go straight to device
drivers). JACK?

        erik