Re: [linux-audio-dev] Quick and efficient sound daemon idea -- why not do it this way?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Quick and efficient sound daemon idea -- why not do it this way?
From: Paul Winkler (pw_lists_AT_slinkp.com)
Date: Thu Oct 17 2002 - 16:20:05 EEST

On Wed, Oct 16, 2002 at 06:05:57PM -0400, Paul Davis wrote:
> thats very true. my position is very, very simple: OSS was a *HUGE*
> and monstrous mistake. in the guise of using The Unix Way (TM) for an
> audio API, it has saddled us with dozens of (mostly toy) applications
> that use a design model/architecture that is not appropriate for real
> time work.

Dozens?? haha. It's worse than that.

[pw_AT_localhost pw]$ wget http://sound.condorow.net/one-page.html
[pw_AT_localhost pw]$ grep -i " href" one-page.html | wc -l
   1427

even if we assume that fully half of those are links to
information, tool, or other things not really "applications",
that leaves us with at least 700 of these apps.

--

Paul Winkler "Welcome to Muppet Labs, where the future is made - today!"