Re: [linux-audio-dev] image problem [was Re: [Alsa-devel] help for a levelmeter]

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] image problem [was Re: [Alsa-devel] help for a levelmeter]
From: Steve Harris (S.W.Harris_AT_ecs.soton.ac.uk)
Date: Fri Oct 18 2002 - 12:18:02 EEST

On Fri, Oct 18, 2002 at 09:23:11 +0100, Richard Bown wrote:
> The point is that selling Linux Audio isn't just about Linux Audio -
> it's about selling the whole desktop. It's about letting people know
> that if they want to make music they can just get on and make music.
> People shouldn't have to have a degree to install music software and to
> start using it. This problem is bigger that LAD/ALSA or even AGNULA
> and it crosses that distasteful line between hobbyists twiddling and
> research and big business. It treads on a lot of toes.

The problem, I think, is the state of the software that many of us are
happy to use. It needs CVS this, and pl17 that, and we stop hacking when
it builds on most peoples machines and doesn't crash too often.

OK, this is no worse than Windows, but I dont think users will switch en
masse to Linux audio just because it doesn't chash any more often than
Windows, and if they spend a week playing with kernels and PCI busses they
might be able to get an extra ms of latency.

> Yes, this is a troll and not a very original one at that, but it's time
> that there was a clear distinction between Linux Sound/Audio and Linux
> for Music. The latter has a clearly defined marketplace, the former
> doesn't.

Uhu, and I suspect that the marketplace is for preconfigured machines,
installed with the current, stable software, and backed by some kind of
support/upgrade program. The sort of thing that Carillon offer
http://www.carillondirect.com/ for Windows [not reccomendation - never
used them].

Thier prices are reasonable, even given windows s/w licencing costs, so
they ought the be able to produce a Linux based box for less money with
the same/better QoS. We shall see.

- Steve