[linux-audio-dev] Re: The Image (usablity) problem from a Musicians point of view

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] Re: The Image (usablity) problem from a Musicians point of view
From: Benno Senoner (sbenno_AT_gardena.net)
Date: Tue Oct 22 2002 - 02:36:48 EEST

> I don't know if the 3 points I've made have already been done, I'm new
> to LAD, but they are important. Especially 3 as it gives a "migration
> path" to existing windoze users. I know, I know, DirectX plugins are
> written against Microsoft libraries, but how come mplayer on Linux can
> use windows binaries (codecs) in it's system? Could the same not be
>done
>for audio? Surely it's the same principle? (Media data input, process,
>media data ouput).

Yes this should be possibile since both DirectX and VST are documented
APIs.
Form a latency point of view, I am not sure how this works out, but I
believe the process() calls do not involve windows specific stuff so the
plugs should perform quite well on a low latency kernel.
Of course almost any DX, VST plugin do have a GUI.
The ideal would be letting wine to display the GUI part while executing
 the process() stuff directly.
I am not a wine expert so I cannot say how difficult this can be, but
 given that wine is able to execute beasts like Word and Excel I guess
it has not problems with plugin GUIs.

Indeed the ability to run DX and VST on Linux would be a good selling
point for pro audio on linux but there is still lot to do in the fields
of basic audio platform infrastructure and integration of the different
components.

cheers,
Benno